Thursday, May 1, 2008

Passions


A little about me. There’s too much to just put into black type on a page. I grew up on the Oregon Coast. Days spent sleuthing the tide pools for cool finds. My favorites were the sea urchins, Spiny dark purple koosh balls. Does anyone even remember the koosh ball? I love the ocean: The salty sea air, the sticky mist, the sound of the waves falling onto the beach, or lapping at the shore, the cries of the seagulls claiming foodstuffs like small children wanting to be first at snack. The little crabs were always of interest, carrying their worldly belongings on their backs, always on the lookout for the next best shell to call home, even if that means deposing of the current tenant. Anemones. I think that I may have been in a past life, or perhaps still am one. An anemone is beautiful; Simple clear colors, not a whole lot of flash, just enough to get your attention. An interesting little response is to that of harsh touch, the anemone retreats, sucking into herself, hiding all of its color and frills. Don’t look at me. One may also look at this bit of physiology and say that it really is that the anemone lures her prey in with pretty colors and then sucks them into oblivion, that little belly button in the center. Maybe. Of course I do not like to think of myself that way, but I am the anemone. So, you really don’t know that much more about me than you did on sentence one, except that I ramble on about sea life.


Passions. Much more interesting. This is where imagination and life can mingle. I have a passion for food. Good food, shared with friends, laughs, music, and a little flair. I think one of the main reasons I like food so much is that I can transport to another time or another place. If you want to know a people, eat with them. Want to experience Thailand? My favorite is a bright Jade Curry with fresh Thai basil thrown in just at the end. Peppery, crisp, clean, and a shock of green on top of, and mingled in with the melting bouquet of florals, spices, and sweet coconut milk. France, lemon and thyme seem to show up a lot, along with veggies and fruits, savory cheeses and of course wine. Italy. What other country, besides maybe Greece, may be as voluptuous as Italy. The tomatoes speak for themselves. Succulent, full figured and heavy, with the slightest bit of give, and the most intoxicating aroma. Sliced, lain with fresh basil and a swirl of thick balsamic syrup. What could be better or more simple. Food is not about how many chemicals or stabilizers we can get into a it and still have it taste the same months down the road, which it never does. Food is about tasting a moment, seizing an essence, or capturing a region’s Terre in one tiny morsel. Can you taste the rain, the hillside where the sheep grazed, or the sun beating down on the tomato? When you can it is simply an amazing transformative experience. Unadulterated food is by far the best. The less one does with their food, the better.
Another passion is my children. Watching them grow up and learn, experiencing things from the mundane to the miraculous. Such a privilege. I love to see them grasp their lives with both fists and hang on for the ride. Finger painting is more fun when you use your whole arm. Imaginary sword bearing monsters are everywhere, including the aisles of our favorite grocery stores, book stores, and even at the library. There isn’t anyone in this world that doesn’t like to hear beautiful songs sung at all times, in all venues. And, aren’t all things that might possibly have a hand hold meant for climbing on? Lessons I have learned from my children.
Photography. Another passion. I just love to take photographs. Snapshots of a frame. Memories, both impromptu and slightly fabricated, posing and all. Nature shots, how best to frame that one little square of visual so that anyone else could see the same beauty that I see in that split second. They are never quite as perfect as the whole experience, but they are a hell of a lot of fun.
The best thing about passion is it’s best when you share it. So here ya go!

Roasted Asparagus
1 bunch asparagus washed, tough ends removed
2 TBS Olive oil
Sea salt to taste
Oven to 425 degrees F
Toss the asparagus spears with olive oil, put into an oven safe dish, like a sheet pan or a 9X13 pyrex, and sprinkle with some salt, just enough to make them sparkle a little(1/4-1/2 tsp). Put this into 425 degree oven and roast for 15-20 minutes, until tender and smelling fully of asparagus. Be careful not to overcook them, which can happen if the spears are thin. Some brown but not too dark is what you’re aiming for. Enjoy these alone like French fries, floppy yes, but that’s how they get eaten most of the time for me, or you can make an aoli to serve them with.

Smiles,
Anna

1 comment:

Sally JPA said...

Anna, this is a great post. I hope you'll come back and write more!

The Oregon coast is one of my favorite places that I've visited. I look forward to going back to it when my husband and I move to Seattle next year.